The North Carolina

 

 

 

Visitor Center

Brunswick County

Cities and Towns in Brunswick County

Click on the towns below to visit their websites

Brunswick County political parties

Democrat
Republican
Libertarian

Schools

Brunswick Community College

K-12 
 
West Brunswick High School

South Brunswick High School

North Brunswick High School

 
Brunswick County Academy

Early College High School 

 Shallotte Middle School

Leland Middle School

South Brunswick Middle School

Waccamaw School

Cedar Grove Middle School

Southport Elementary School

Jessie Mae Monroe Elementary School

Virginia Williamson Elementary School

Supply Elementary School

Town Creek Elementary School

Belville Elementary School

Union Elementary School

Lincoln Elementary School

Bolivia Elementary School


Belville Elementary School

Union Elementary School 

Lincoln Elementary School

Bolivia Elementary School  

 
Private Schools

Southport Christian School

Evelyn Smith Wray Village School

Leland
Christian Academy

Southeastern Christian Academy

Brunswick Christian Academy

West Christian Academy
(910) 754-9378

Club Z! In-Home Tutoring

L & L Montessori School

 

 

 

Churches

Abundant Life Church  

Shallotte

 

All Souls Church  

Acme

 

Ame Church  

Winnabow

 

Andrew Chapel  

Calabash

 

Antioch Church  

Bolivia

 

Bethel Church  

Leland

 

Bethel Church  

Acme

 

Bethel Church  

Calabash

 

Bethel Church  

Calabash

 

Beulah Church  

Calabash

 

Big Macedonia Church  

Supply

 

Blackwell Chapel  

Winnabow

 

Boones Neck Church  

Holden Beach

 

Browns Chapel  

Southport

 

Calvary Church  

Shallotte

 

Camp Church  

Shallotte

 

Cedar Grove Church  

Holden Beach

 

Christian Chapel  

Funston

 

Christian Hope Church  

Lewis Swamp

 

Community Chapel  

Lewis Swamp

 

Concord Church  

Supply

 

Damascus Road Church  

Winnabow

 

Davis Chapel

Leland

 

Dixon Chapel  

Lockwoods Folly

 

Faith Church  

Leland

 

Faith Church  

Bolivia

 

Faith Full Gospel Church  

Exum

 

Farmers Chapel  

Acme

 

Friendship Church

Bolivia

 

Friendship Church  

Calabash

 

Generations Church  

Southport

 

Goshen Church  

Leland

 

Gospel Church  

Lockwoods Folly

 

Grace Church  

Shallotte

 

Grove Church  

Winnabow

 

Holylight Church  

Exum

 

Hooper Chapel  

Leland

 

Jinnys Branch Church  

Shallotte

 

Johnson Chapel  

Leland

 

Joy Assembly  

Southport

 

Kingdom Hall  

Lockwoods Folly

 

Lebanon Church  

Funston

 

Lettis Grove Church  

Holden Beach

 

Lighthouse Church  

Acme

 

Little Macedonia Church  

Supply

 

Live Oak Church  

Longs

 

Longwood Church  

Freeland

 

Midway Church  

Lockwoods Folly

 

Midway Church  

Southport

 

Mill Creek Church  

Funston

 

Mount Calvary Church

Leland

 

Mount Carmel Church  

Shallotte

 

Mount Olive Church  

Bolivia

 

Mount Pisgah Church  

Holden Beach

 

Mount Zion Church  

Wilmington

 

Mount Zion Church  

Freeland

 

Myrtle Head Church  

Old Dock

 

New Britton Church  

Freeland

 

New Hope Church  

Shallotte

 

New Hope Church  

Winnabow

 

New Hope Church  

Winnabow

 

New Hope Church  

Leland

 

New Hope Church  

Funston

 

New Life Church  

Holden Beach

 

New Life Church  

Exum

 

Oak Grove Church

Holden Beach

 

Ocean View Church  

Holden Beach

 

Ocean View Church  

Shallotte

 

Orton Church  

Carolina Beach

 

Peace Memorial Church  

Funston

 

Perkinsville Church  

Acme

 

Pleasant Grove Church  

Calabash

 

Pleasant Hill Church  

Shallotte

 

Pleasant Hill Church  

Shallotte

 

Pleasant View Church  

Calabash

 

Prospect Church  

Supply

 

Providence Missionary Church  

Wilmington

 

Rutland Chapel  

Bolivia

 

Sabbath Home Church  

Holden Beach

 

Saint Andrew Church  

Calabash

 

Saint Brendian Mission  

Shallotte

 

Saint James Church  

Shallotte

 

Saint James Church  

Southport

 

Saint James Church  

Lockwoods Folly

 

Saint James Church  

Winnabow

 

Saint Johns Church  

Bolivia

 

Saint Marks Church  

Shallotte

 

Saint Mary Church  

Winnabow

 

Saint Matthew Church  

Exum

 

Shallotte Chapel  

Holden Beach

 

Shallotte Church  

Shallotte

 

Sharon Church  

Holden Beach

 

Shell Point Church  

Holden Beach

 

Shepherd Church  

Shallotte

 

Shiloh Church  

Lewis Swamp

 

Soldier Bay Church  

Freeland

 

Spring Green Church  

Acme

 

Stanley Road Church  

Holden Beach

 

Summersville Chapel  

Leland

 

Town Creek Church  

Winnabow

 

Town Creek Church  

Winnabow

 

Trinity Church  

Exum

 

Union Chapel  

Holden Beach

 

Union Church  

Exum

 

United Church  

Calabash

 

Village Point Church  

Shallotte

 

Wayside Church  

Winnabow

 

Wesleyan Church  

Calabash

 

Woodburn Church  

Wilmington

 

Woodburn Church  

Winnabow

 

Zion Church  

Exum

 

Zion Church  

Winnabow

 

Zion Hill Church  

Lockwoods Folly

Note on Churches:  North Carolina is blessed to boast hundreds of churches in every county.  We make every effort to list each church in each county.  If your church is not listed in our directory, please let us know.
History of Brunswick County

 Orton Plantation - Brunswick County, North Carolina

 

Of course, there were Native Americans in what is present-day Brunswick County before the Europeans arrived. In some early references, the local Indians were called the Town Creek Indians, whereas later they were called the Cape Fear Indians. No European ever asked them what they called themselves, but at the end of the Yamassee War in 1716, they were all removed from Brunswick County and placed on a reservation in what is now Williamsburg County, South Carolina.

The first European to explore the coastline of what is now Brunswick County was the English sailor, John Cabot, who sailed along the entire Carolina coastline in 1497, claiming this part of the New World on behalf of England. It was a long time before another Englishman came to this area.

In the early 1500s, several Spanish explorers sailed along the coast of Brunswick County, North Carolina, but none stopped here or even bothered to set foot on Brunswick soil. Francisco Gordillo and Pedro de Quejo were sent to explore the coastline in 1521, and Lucas Vasques de Allyon may have sailed along Brunswick County in 1526 while contemplating where to establish his settlement of San Miguel - which ended up being located at what is present-day Georgetown, South Carolina, a little more than forty miles to the south.

It was not until 1662 when the next Englishman made his way to Brunswick County. William Hilton, Jr. and his crew made their way down the Atlantic coastline from Massachussetts to explore the Cape Fear River, and upon their return Hilton prepared a very positive report on the area. It did not take long before a small group of New Englanders found their way to Brunswick County.

In 1663, this small group of New Englanders purchased thirty-two square miles of land along Town Creek, in Brunswick County, from the local Indians - the Cape Fear Indians - but, they did not particularly like the area and left within two or three months, returning to their homes in New England.

In 1664, Sir John Yeamans of Barbados brought a second group to essentially the same location and established the first town in the new colony - Charles Town. This was six years before the second Charles Town that was established along the Ashley River in present-day South Carolina. The Barbadians built a thriving settlement that peaked out at around 800 souls in 1666. In 1667, things deteriorated rapidly. The colonists were running out of supplies and then they were hit by a gigantic hurricane in August that wiped out the entire settlement. The disgusted colonists gave up and found their way up to the Albemarle region and some even as far north as Virginia - apparently, they walked.

This failure set the Cape Fear region back by more than fifty years. From 1667 to 1720, the Lords Proprietors focused their attention on the two primary settlements in the Province - the Albemarle region and the Charles Town (South Carolina) region. Interestingly, in 1666, before the demise of the first Charles Town of Brunswick County in 1667, a pamphlet was published in England extolling the virtues of the Cape Fear region.

Click Here to read the earliest "marketing campaign" ever for Brunswick County and the surrounding area.

In May 1713, Barren Island (Bald Head) was granted to Landgrave Thomas Smith II, and in 1724 Governor George Burrington began to distribute land along the Cape Fear for colonization. Many of the new settlers came from South Carolina because of the lower taxes in North Carolina. Soon, immigrants were coming directly from the British Isles to the Cape Fear because it was a deep-water port, the only one in North Carolina.

Maurice Moore (son of Governor James Moore) founded Brunswick Town using his grant on the west bank of the river, and by June 1726, a map of the town was filed with the Secretary of the Province. The next year a ferry was in operation to cross the Cape Fear River to the east bank, which was not yet settled.

A letter of Governor Burrington, dated 1733, says he sent out Indian Guides and some of his men to mark a road to the middle of this Province from Virginia to the Cape Fear River and to discover and view the land lying in those parts until then unknown to the English.

When New Hanover county was created by the General Assembly in 1729, the northern coastal boundary was about six miles above the present New River Inlet, and the southern boundary at the disputed border with South Carolina.

Many people understood the boundary line between North and South Carolina to be about thirty miles southwest of the Cape Fear River, but the Colonial Records in 1729 designated the border as the "main branch of a large river falling into the ocean at Cape Fear..." In the early 1700s the Cape Fear River below the fork was called the Thoroughfare and the Brunswick River was called the Northwest Branch of the Cape Fear River.

From 1729, until Wilmington was established and named in 1740, Brunswick Town was the county seat of New Hanover County.

In 1725, settlement of Brunswick County began in earnest. Grants were dated June 3, 1725, with lands received by Maurice Moore, Samuel Swann, Charles Harrison, and Eleazar Allen. Maurice Moore transferred many acres to his brother, Roger Moore, who developed what is now called Orton Plantation.

Brunswick Town was started in 1726 by Maurice Moore, but didn't really take off until 1731. In 1729, New Hanover County was established, and it contained all of present-day Brunswick County (as well as many others) and law mandated that Brunswick Town be the County Seat.

In April 1733, James Wimble began selling lots in a town he called New Carthage, on the east side of the Cape Fear River. Soon, it was called New Liverpool, New Town, or Newton to distinguish it from the older Brunswick Town. Newton was incorporated as the Town of Wilmington on February 25, 1740 and designated the new County Seat. This infuriated the settlers on the west side of the Cape Fear River, and they began a decades long campaign to secede from New Hanover County.

In 1741, all lands west of the Cape Fear River were incorporated into a new parish called St. Philips, thinking this would appease the locals. It did not. For the next twenty years, the Brunswick Town folks and others on the west side of the Cape Fear River pursued their independence. Finally, on March 9, 1764 Brunswick County was officially established out of part of New Hanover County.

Brunswick Town was the first county seat of the newly formed Brunswick County. It remained so until 1779, well after the outbreak of the Revolutionary War. The British ransacked Brunswick Town in 1779 and literally burned it to the ground. It was never rebuilt and Brunswick Town began to slowly die away. By the early 1800s, it was all but abandoned.

In 1779, the county seat was located at Lockwood's Folly and a new town was established at the mouth of the Lockwood Folly River on the south/west bank. In 1784, the county seat was moved across to the other side of the Lockwood Folly River and a new town was established, named Walkersburgh, which included the courthouse, a jail, and several homes as well as a tavern. But, the location was not convenient for anyone except for those on the coast, and the town never really took off.

In 1792, the town of Smithville was established at the mouth of the Cape Fear River on the west bank in Brunswick County. In 1808, the Brunswick County seat was moved to Smithville, where it remained for 169 years. In 1887, Smithville was renamed to Southport, and was becoming a thriving port town.

Brunswick County was divided into several districts since inception, but in 1812 these were stabilized into six: Northwest, Town Creek, Smithville, Shallotte, Lockwood Folly, and Waccamaw - all of which are current townships.

From the earliest settlement in Brunswick Town in 1726 to the late 1860s, towns began to spring up around Brunswick County. Walkersburgh on the Lockwood Folly River sprang up, became the county seat, then faded into oblivion.

In the earliest reference in 1734, a traveler crossed the Shallot River on Simmon's Ferry, with a settlement near the ferry called Shallotte. By 1807, a bridge spanned the Shallot River where the ferry once was. By the 1830s, what was named Lockwood Folly for a brief period of time was now called Shallotte, the river was now called the Shallotte River, and a post office was established there in 1837. Shallotte was incorporated in 1899. Recent findings of old maps of this area indicates that the Shallot River was so named as early as 1733 (on Edward Moseley's map) - so, the name of Shallotte probably goes back well before the 1730s. Trivia - the first name for Shallotte was actually Lockwood Folly - twice. Recent US Postal Records research have uncovered this information - Lockwood Folly was granted its first Post Office on February 21, 1837. On December 13, 1837 the US Post Office Department accepted an application for changing the name to Shallotte. This PO was active until December 29, 1858, apparently when it closed down. Interestingly, a second town named Lockwood Folly was granted a new Post Office on September 4, 1857 - clearly while the first Shallotte Post Office was in operations and therefore a second location and second town (hamlet, burg, whatever you want to call it). This second Lockwood Folly town was soon renamed to Shallotte on April 26, 1859 - almost four months after the first Shallotte PO was closed down. Ergo - we now have "Old Shallotte" and the current Shallotte. In researching the old maps, one can clearly find these two virtually shown where we know of them today.

In the early 1800s, roads were constructed from Wilmington to Shallotte and on to Georgetown, South Carolina, an important naval stores area. These roads were mostly sand and nearly impassable. Therefore, river trade was the easiest way. A trading post was established in the 1820s well up the Lockwood Folly River, near the new road between Wilmington and Shallotte. This trading post was originally called the "Old Georgetown Way," even shortened to "Old G.W.," but locals finally named it Supply in the late 1860s.

The town of Bolivia was established in the 1890s and was incorporated in 1911. In 1977, the county seat was moved from Southport to Bolivia because Bolivia was closer to the center of the county and could provide better service to the population. This was accomplished by a public referendum that certainly brought about a lot of tension within the county at that time.

The US Army Corps of Engineers dredged the US Intracoastal Waterway in the 1930s. Upon completion of this several "barrier islands" became attractive properties immediately after World War II. Development began in earnest in the 1950s, with the boom beginning in the 1960s. Ocean Isle Beach, Holden Beach, Sunset Beach, Long Beach, Yaupon Beach, and Caswell Beach have all been incorporated since the 1950s, and are tremendous vacation attractions today.

Further inland, other small towns sprang up. Exum came into being. Ash was home to Waccamaw High School until all schools were consolidated in 1973. Longwood, Grissettown, and Thomasboro came along in the southern part of the county. As did Calabash (home of world famous seafood) and Hickman's Crossroads. On the northern end of the county, Maco, Bishop, Bellville, and Winnabow grew into towns. While, in the middle of the county remains the ever-present Green Swamp, the largest swamp in North Carolina.

Boiling Springs Lakes was started in the 1960s, and is a favorite golfing community near Southport.


 

 

 

Brunswick Town, first established in 1726 and made a borough town under English law in 1754, was established as the first county seat for Brunswick County when it was enacted in 1764. Brunswick Town was ransacked by the British during the American Revolution and literally burned to the ground - never to be rebuilt. In 1779, the county seat was authorized to be moved to the plantation of John Bell near the Lockwood Folly bridge. In 1784, Walkersburgh, named in honor of John Walker on whose land it was situated, was established. Provisions were made in the act for a courthouse and other public buildings to be established in Walkersburgh, located near Deep Water Point.

This act specified that the courts were to be held at the most convenient place until a courthouse was completed. It is doubtful that the act was put into effect because in 1808, another act was passed authorizing the removal of the courthouse from Lockwood Folly to Smithville. Smithville was established in 1792 and named after Benjamin Smith, Governor of North Carolina 1810-1811. In 1879, and effort to move the courthouse failed. In 1887, Smithville was renamed to Southport. Southport served as the county seat until 1977, when the county seat was moved to Bolivia, following a public referendum on the subject. Bolivia has been the county seat of Brunswick County since 1977.


Click Here for an early map showing the known Plantations along the Cape Fear River between 1725 and 1760 (fairly large image file).
Click Here for an early map showing the Cape Fear River area in 1749 (fairly large image file).
Click Here for an early layout/plan of Fort Johnston as of 1767 (fairly large image file).
Click Here for an early map showing the Cape Fear River area in 1781, when General Cornwallis occupied this area (fairly large image file).
Click Here for an early map showing Frying Pan Shoals and surrounding area in the 1780s (fairly large image file).
 

- Source: J.D. Lewis - Little River, SC 
 http://www.carolana.com/NC/Counties/brunswick_county_nc.html

More Information

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 73,143 people, 30,438 households, and 22,037 families residing in the county. The population density was 86 people per square mile (33/km²). There were 51,431 housing units at an average density of 60 per square mile (23/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 82.30% White, 14.38% Black or African American, 0.68% Native American, 0.27% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 1.32% from other races, and 1.01% from two or more races. 2.68% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

There were 30,438 households out of which 25.70% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 58.10% were married couples living together, 10.20% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.60% were non-families. 22.90% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.60% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.38 and the average family size was 2.76.

In the county the population was spread out with 21.20% under the age of 18, 7.00% from 18 to 24, 25.70% from 25 to 44, 29.20% from 45 to 64, and 16.90% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 42 years. For every 100 females there were 96.70 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 94.90 males.

The median income for a household in the county was $35,888, and the median income for a family was $42,037. Males had a median income of $30,138 versus $22,066 for females. The per capita income for the county was $19,857. About 9.50% of families and 12.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 19.40% of those under age 18 and 8.10% of those age 65 or over.

- Source: Wikipedia