The North Carolina
Hamlet: The “Hub of the Seaboard”
historic Hamlet Depot
Back in the late 1800s, a few homes strewn along the banks of Marks Creek made up a small village, then aptly named Sandhills because it was rooted deep in the sandhills of North Carolina. But, what began so small grew to be known as the “Hub of the Seaboard”.
An Englishman by the name of John Shortridge began a woolen a saw mill along the creek’s edge, and by 1870, the railroad came to town passing through on its way to the city of Charlotte. History tells us that Shortridge and his three buddies, LL McKinnon, Thomas Steel and Elisha “Champ” Terry, were having a chat when Mr. Shortridge told them that in England a group of homes was called a hamlet. And so it stuck, and the village of Sandhills officially became the town of Hamlet. It was incorporated in 1897. In honor of the naming, the three men planted a sycamore tree, which stood until 1946 when it was removes in order to accommodate construction.
Hamlet became larger as many railroad workers began to choose the transportation town as home. With five seaboard lines leading from the town and approximately thirty passenger trains departing each day, by 1936, the once small collection of houses became known as the “Hub of the Seaboard.”
This article provided by Ron Mayo of the Main Street Café, Hamlet