The North Carolina
Cities and Towns in
Click on the towns below to visit their websites
Schools Private schools
Rowan Cabarrus Community College
Churches High Rock Rowan Mills Rockwell Central United Church of the Sacred Heart Enochville Rockwell Dorsett Chapel Gold Hill Rockwell China Grove Emmanuel Church Rockwell Rowan Mills Cooleemee First Presbyterian Church First United High Rock Four Rockwell Four Franklin Mission China Grove Enochville Gays Chapel Rowan Mills Gold Hill Enochville Rowan Mills Grace Church China Grove Rockwell Grays Chapel Halls Chapel Rowan Mills China Grove Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses Knox Chapel Cool Springs Long Street Methodist Episcopal Church Luthers Church High Rock Rockwell Rowan Mills Millers Chapel Rowan Mills Cool Springs Mount Hope Church China Grove China Grove Cooleemee China Grove New Cool Springs New Church Enochville China Grove Enochville Rockwell Our Lady of Victories China Grove Gold Hill China Grove Prince of China Grove Enochville Southmont Cool Springs Rockwell China Grove Cooleemee Saint Enochs Church Enochville Saint Johns Chapel Saint Lukes Church Rockwell Saint Lukes Church Saint Lukes Church Saint Lukes Episcopal Church Saint Marks Church Rowan Mills Saint Matthews Church Rowan Mills Saint Matthews Church Gold Hill Gold Hill Saint Pauls Church Enochville Saint Pauls Church Rockwell Saint Pauls Episcopal Church Gold Hill Saint Phillips Church Rowan Mills Rowan Mills Second Presbyterian Church Shady Southmont Rockwell Enochville Smiths Chapel Shepherds Soldiers Memorial African Methodist Episcopal Cool Springs Southern City Tabernacle African Methodist Episcopal Spencer Presbyterian Church China Grove Cool Springs Trading Southmont Trinity United Presbyterian Church Union Church United House of Prayer Enochville Cooleemee China Grove Enochville Enochville Rockwell Rockwell Gold Hill Southmont Gold Hill China Grove
Church of the Sacred Heart
First Presbyterian Church
Grace Church China
Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses
Long Street Methodist Episcopal Church
Mount Hope Church
Our Lady of Victories
Saint Enochs Church
Saint Johns Chapel
Saint Lukes Church
Saint Lukes Church
Saint Lukes Church
Saint Lukes Episcopal Church
Saint Marks Church
Saint Matthews Church
Saint Matthews Church
Saint Pauls Church
Saint Pauls Church
Saint Pauls Episcopal Church
Saint Phillips Church
Second Presbyterian Church
Soldiers Memorial African Methodist Episcopal
Southern City Tabernacle African Methodist Episcopal
Spencer Presbyterian Church
Trinity United Presbyterian Church
United House of Prayer
The County Seat was first called Rowan Court House. It has been called Salisbury since about 1755.
Rowan County was formed in 1753 from Anson County, and was named for Matthew Rowan (d. 1760), acting governor at the time the county was formed. The county seat is Salisbury. Initially, Rowan County included the entire northwestern sector of North Carolina, with no clear western boundary, but its size was reduced as a number of counties were split off.
The first big excision was to create Surry County in 1771. Burke and Wilkes counties were formed from the western parts of Rowan and Surry in 1777 and 1778, respectively, leaving a smaller Rowan County that comprised present-day Rowan, Iredell (formed 1788), Davidson (1822), and Davie (1836). Surry, Burke, and Wilkes subsequently fragmented further as well. Depending on where your ancestors lived, you may want to look at records for some of these later counties also. Records of very early land grants in the Rowan County area will be found with Anson County.
CHAPTER 1. Description of Rowan County.
CHAPTER II. The Settlements and Boundaries of Rowan County.
CHAPTER III. Colonial Salisbury.
CHAPTER IV. Relations with the Indians.
CHAPTER V. The Courts and Officials of Rowan County and Salisbury District.
CHAPTER VI. The Regulators.
CHAPTER VII. The Churches of Early Rowan.
CHAPTER VIII. Education in Rowan.
CHAPTER IX. The Safety Committee.
CHAPTER X. Social and Industrial Conditions.A COLONIAL HISTORY OF
ROWAN COUNTY, NORTH CAROLINA
DESCRIPTION OF ROWAN COUNTY
The heirs of the eight nobleman to whom Charles II had granted Carolina
in 1663 found that vast territory an unprofitable and unruly charge. In
1728, therefore, the owners of seven of the eight equal undivided shares
offered to sell all their interest in Carolina to the Crown, and the
proposition was accepted. In the following year the purchase was
completed, the seven proprietors who surrendered their claims receiving
17,500 pounds sterling, and the relinquishment of the lands being
confirmed by an act of Parliament. John, Lord Carteret, afterwards
created Earl Granville, alone of the eight lords retained his share.1
In 1744, his part of Carolina was set off for him by grant from George
II, all the territory lying between the Virginia line on the north and the
parallel of 35ø 34' on the south being allotted to him. The eastern
boundary of this immense tract was the Atlantic Ocean and the western, the
Mississippi River.2 At this time the portion of this grant west of the
present eastern boundaries of Randolph, Guilford, and Rockingham counties
was just being entered by enterprising settlers. It is with the region
west of the above-mentioned boundary lines that this sketch is to deal.
This region embraced the northern part of two of the three great natural
divisions of North Carolina Piedmont section and the Mountain section.
The part included in the Piedmont is blessed by nature with countless
streams and an endless succession of hills and valleys which increase as
one goes westward. Its climate is invigorating and wholesome. The soil is
very fertile, especially along the banks of the rivers and creeks. The
earth contains great mineral wealth in the form of coal, iron, gold, and
other metals, ores, and min-
1 Ashe, 217; Williamson, 26-27.
2 Col. Rec. IV, x.6 James SPRUNT Historical Publications
erals. Among the trees found in the forests are the white oak, the white
hickory, the white ash, the elm, the maple, the beech, the poplar, the
persimmon, the black walnut, the yellow pine, and the mulberry. Most of
what has been said of the Piedmont district is also applicable to the
Mountain division. The Blue-Ridge Mountains a portion of the Appalachian
Range lie partly within its borders. Here the wild cherry, the white
pine, the hemlock, the black birch, the white walnut, the chestnut, the
beech, the locust, and many other trees grow. The mineral resources of
this section arc more abundant than those of the Piedmont. The Mountain
region is above all else a land of health and beauty.3 The earliest
visitor to this territory who recorded anything was John Lawson, the
Surveyor-General of the Province of North Carolina. In December, 1700,
accompanied by several other Englishmen and Indian guides, he left
Charleston for an exploration of the northern province.4
His tour extended as far west as the section later erected into Rowan County. The land embracing the southern part of the county as it now stands and the counties to the south he described as "Pleasant savanna ground, high and dry, having very few trees upon it, and those standing at a great
distance. The land was very good and free from grubs or underwood. A man
near Sapona (the Yadkin) may more easily clear ten acres of ground than
in some places he can one; there being much loose stone upon the land,
lying very convenient for making of dry walls or any other sort of durable
fence. The country abounds likewise with curious, bold creeks, navigable
for small craft, disgorging themselves into the main rivers that vent
them- selves into the ocean. These creeks are well stored with sundry
sorts of fish and fowl, and are very convenient for the transportation of
what commodities this place may produce."5 Lawson continued his journey a
few miles further north, passing through a country which he characterized
as "a delicious country; none that I ever saw exceeds it." Fine bladed
grass, six feet high, grew along the creeks, and the sepulchres of dead
3 Hand-book of N. C., 22-46.
4 Lawson, 19.
5 Lawson, 80. A Colonial History of Rowan County 7
dians were seen. Lawson found the town of the Sapona Indians located in.
an open field about a mile square on the fertile and pleasant banks of the
Sapona River, as the Yadkin was then called.6 This town was near Trading
Ford, a few miles east of the site of the present city of Salisbury.
Trading Ford was so called because it was on the ancient Trading Path
which traders from Virginia traveled at an early date in going to the
Catawbas and other southern Indians.7 Lawson was delighted with the scenes around the Yadkin. He says: "This most pleasant river may be something broader than the Thames at Kingston, keeping a continual warbling noise, with its reverberating on the bright marble rocks. . . . One side of the river is hemmed in with mountainy ground, the other side proving as rich a soil as any this western world can afford.8 A numerous train of
swan and other water fowl were on the stream and many small birds sang upon its banks.9 The travelers were entertained by the old king of the
Saponas, who proved very friendly to the white men. Neighboring tribes of
Indians were the Toteros, who inhabited the "westward mountains," and the
Keyauwees, who dwelt in a village about forty miles west of Trading Ford.
These three nations were small, and at that time were planning to combine
in order to strengthen themselves and become formidable to their enemies.
About ten days before Lawson's arrival among them the Saponas captured
five northern Indians. Indians from the north ranged over the country
and were a terror to the less warlike tribes of the south. The Saponas
were preparing to put. the captives to death with cruel torture, but
released them upon the request of the Toteros, some of whom, when taken
prisoners by the northern Indians a short time before, had been kindly
treated and permitted to return to their own people.10 The old king of
the Saponas took much pride in several horses which he owned. Lawson was
highly pleased with the country. Every step, he declared, presented some
new object to his view.
6 Lawson, 81.
7 Rumple, 15.
8 Lawson, 81,
9 Lawson, 83.
10 Lawson, 82-84.8 James Sprunt Historical Publications
Beavers, swan, geese, and deer were plentiful in the neighborhood of the
Yadkin. During the stay of the explorers at Sapona town a party of the
Toteros, "tall, likely men," came down from the west "having great plenty
of buffaloes, elks, and bears with other sort of deer amongst them." One
of the Indian doctors acquainted Lawson with a large quantity of
medicines that were produced in those parts.11 After remaining several
days at Sapona Lawson's party made a two days trip to the westward.
The country became more mountainous and many streams were crossed. At a
distance of some thirty or forty miles west of the Yadkin they reached the
town of the Keyauwees, situated five miles northwest of a rocky river
called the Heighwaree. Near the town was another stream. The land was
"more mountainous, but extremely pleasant and an excellent place for the
breeding (of) sheep, goats, and horses or mules," The valleys were very
fertile. The village of the Keyauwees was encircled by high mountains, and
large cornfields adjoined the cabins of the savages. No grass grew upon
the high cliffs and the growth of trees upon them was sparse. The earth
in this region was of a reddish color, which Lawson said signfied (sic)
the presence of minerals. The Keyauwees received the travelers with
hospitality, Lawson lodged at the house of Keyauwees Jack, a Congaree
Indian, who had obtained the chieftainship through marriage with the
queen, for among the Indians descent was counted on the female side. The
Keyauwees were unique in that most of them wore mustaches or whiskers a
habit rarely practiced by Indians.l2 Two or three days were spent with
the Keyauwees. Most of the members of Lawson's party desired to go
straightway to Virginia, but he was determined to continue his course to
the coast of North Carolina. He and one companion, therefore, bade
farewell to the rest of the group. On the third day's journey, after
passing over many waters and through rich lands, they reached the Haw
River, whence they made their way to the coast of the province.13 Lawson
did not penetrate the wilderness as far westward as the Catawba nation.
Nor did he learn anything of the powerful
11 Lawson, 84-85.
12 Lawson, 67-91.
13 Lawson, 92-105. A Colonial History of Rowan County 9
Cherokees who lived beyond the mountains and who at a future date were to
make incursions into the settlements, bringing devastation and destruction
with them. The Saponas, Keyauwees, and Toteros combined with several
small tribes and removed to Virginia soon after Lawson's departure. After
dwelling in Virginia, a few miles north of the Roanoke, for twenty-five years,
they returned to Carolina and lived with the Catawbas.l4
As of the census of 2000, there were 130,340 people, 49,940 households, and 35,507 families residing in the county. The population density was 255 people per square mile (98/km²). There were 53,980 housing units at an average density of 106 per square mile (41/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 80.02% White, 15.78% Black or African American, 0.33% Native American, 0.85% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 2.00% from other races, and 1.00% from two or more races. 4.12% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 49,940 households out of which 32.40% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.80% were married couples living together, 11.90% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.90% were non-families. 24.70% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.20% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.52 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county the population was spread out with 24.70% under the age of 18, 9.10% from 18 to 24, 29.80% from 25 to 44, 22.50% from 45 to 64, and 14.00% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females there were 97.60 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 95.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,494, and the median income for a family was $44,242. Males had a median income of $31,626 versus $23,437 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,071. About 8.10% of families and 10.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 13.70% of those under age 18 and 11.40% of those age 65 or over.
- Source: Wikipedia
The vitality of Catawba College lies in its tradition of strong academic programs; sensitive, concerned but demanding faculty; diverse students who share a seriousness of purpose; successful, loyal graduates and informed, committed trustees.
BUILDING THE TRADITION: History of Catawba College Catawba's tradition extends back to its establishment in 1851 in the town of
This tradition of placing a high value on education made itself felt again in the meeting of the Classis at St. Matthew's Arbor in 1848 where it was suggested that the Education Society "found a college of our own in our own midst." Bearing the name of the Indian tribe which had already lent its name to the county and the river flowing nearby,
In 1890, Catawba became a coeducational institution, with the first woman graduate completing her studies in 1893. Even with the addition of women to the student body, the College struggled to overcome the ravages and depletion brought on by the war. Responding to the offer of a partially constructed dormitory-administration building and several acres of land in
Catawba seeks to serve the
Since Catawba opened its doors in the
Like the student body, the Catawba faculty is cosmopolitan in nature. It embodies a significant range of opinion and philosophy, founded in studies at many of our nation's leading colleges and universities. Of the 78 full-time teaching faculty, over 70 percent hold the doctorate or terminal degree in their discipline (Ph.D. or M.F.A.).
Catawba seeks to employ faculty members who not only are excellent teachers, but who also have the capacity to guide and challenge students through their interaction with them in clubs, scholastic organizations, and athletic and social activities. Faculty are genuinely committed to the mission of the College which expresses concern for the total development of the student. The ideal faculty-student ratio means that a faculty member is always available to aid and counsel a student and to offer support in the sometimes difficult developmental process. Former students often attribute their success to the fact that faculty members cared about them as persons, not just for their academic performance. Catawba College is governed by a Board of Trustees of almost 50 men and women representing a broad spectrum of leadership from various constituency groups within the College community — businesses and professions, the alumni association, and the United Church of Christ.
The following articles on historical and outdoor attractions in Rowan County are courtesy:
Rowan County Convention and Visitors Bureau.
Please visit the Rowan CVB's website for much more area information - it is one of the best tourism sites in NC!
RiverPark at Cooleemee Falls features large picnic shelter, canoe portage, hiking trails,
rest room facilities and a beautiful setting for fun and adventure
RiverPark is open 8 a.m. - sunset, 7 days a week
Free to the Public
Remember: if you’re not a Rowan Co. resident you must have a NC license to fish. [Purchase at Cooleemee True Value Hardware Store.]
Directions: Located near
over the river bridge into Rowan Co. Turn right (west) on
and right again on
Picnic Shelter rentals: $30 per half day.
Call (336) 751-2325
The Kannapolis Intimidators are the single A farm club in the Chicago White Sox minor league chain. Young players generally one year out of high school or college usually become Kannapolis Intimidators. The White Sox also have affiliates in Bristol, TN (Rookie), Great Falls, MT (Short Season), Winston-Salem, NC (A-Advanced), Birmingham, AL (AA), and Charlotte, NC (AAA). The 2008 Kannapolis Intimidators finished the season with an overall record of 67-68.